Discover the Wonderful and Wild Pantanal and its Amazing Wildlife
September 21-October 4, 2018
Natures Tapestry Photo Adventure Tours is pleased to announce our tour to The Pantanal in the fall of 2018. We will provide twelve full days of unique photo opportunities. The first part of the tour will be to the Southern Pantanal, located in the state of Mato Grosso Do Sul and the second part of the tour will be in the Northern Pantanal located in the state of Mato Grosso. The tour is led by Gary and Judy Malloch, wildlife photographers who specialize in putting together trips for people who want to experience a “once in a lifetime” opportunity to capture images of rare and uniquely different birds, animals and reptile species.
The sprawling Pantanal is one of the unique places in the world where nature is still pristine and untouched in many places and abundant with exuberant wildlife. It is the worlds largest wetland system. Because Brazil is located in the Southern Hemisphere, springtime occurs in the September October time period exactly when our tour is scheduled. This is the advent of the birding season and when the Pantanal is dry. Overall the landmass of the Pantanal sprawls over 75 thousand square miles of floodplains. During the rainy season, most of the area is submerged under water, nurturing an astonishing biologically diverse collection of aquatic plants that helps to support a dense array of wildlife species.
If you have never been to Brazil before you will definitely enjoy a different experience joining Natures Tapestry Photo Adventure Tours on this adventure. We have an in-country top Pantanal guide, well respected for his knowledge and experience of taking photographers to breathtaking close encounters with exotic and often intimidating creatures. There is no better place to see the diversity of wildlife than in the Pantanal. The sheer variety and numbers of unique animal and bird species presents opportunities for photographers to capture images in a concentrated area not often found in other places on this planet. Overall the area is an open habitat allowing animals to be easily observed.
The tour will encompass short walks, minibus travel; safari drives during the day and early evening and many riverboat trips. Lodges are comfortable with good food and air conditioning. Each lodge has been selected based on the greatest accessibility to maximize photography opportunities. The first four days of the tour will be in the Southern Pantanal and the remaining eight days will be in the Northern Pantanal. Here we will spend time concentrating on finding the Jaguar amongst other opportunities.
It is an understatement to say that photo opportunities abound at every lodge we stay in. Even travelling between the lodges we will see many birds and animals to photograph. There are herds of square-nosed Capybaras, the largest rodent in the world, Caiman on the riverbanks, Giant River Otters, Giant Anteaters, Rheas, raptors of all types, Jabiru Storks. Red and Green Macaws, Foxes, Capuchin Monkeys, Collared Peccaries, Hyacinth Macaws (a real highlight of the trip), Armadillos, many parrot species, Hummingbirds and the treasured most elusive cat in the Americas, the Jaguar. These are just a few of the many species that will be found in the wild Pantanal.
The cost of the 2017 Natures Tapestry Photo Adventure Tour, 12 day Pantanal tour, is US$6,475 per person sharing (double occupancy) or US$6,975 per person not sharing (single occupancy). Since the Pantanal is a desirable place to visit by tourists from all over the world, accommodations are very difficult to secure and deposits must be made well in advance of the tour to secure bookings in the highly desirable lodges. As a result the deposit and payment schedule is as follows:
Initial deposit of 30%, or US$1,945 is due on or before April 1, 2018. The remainder of the trip cost or US $4,530 will be due August 1, 2017.
The Pantanal is a favorite place to visit for photographers and securing space on this trip is based on committing as soon as you can. We are limiting the tour group to six guests, making it ideal for this type of tour.
What the Natures Tapestry Photo Adventure Tour Includes:
- All accommodation and meals while on the organized tour.
- All guided tours on land and on the river boats
- English speaking Guide
- All park fees
- Domestic airfare from Campo Grande in the Southern Pantanal to Cuiaba in the Northern Pantanal.
- All land transportation in approved vehicles.
- All purified water while traveling on land transfers.
What the tour cost does not include:
- Airfare from you departure to Campo Grande Brazil (ending point of the tour) back to your
- All beverages at lodges not included with meals. This would include
soda, juice, water and all alcoholic drinks
- Laundry service.
- Telephone or internet service (where available).
- Passport of visa fees. Citizens of the USA do require a visa for entry
into Brazil. The visa application should be made once you agree to
come on the trip.
- Service gratuities. Normally the guide is tipped at the end of the tour if he has provided above and beyond service.
- Trip cancellation insurance.
- Health insurance coverage while out of the USA or your home country.
1. Once you commit to the Natures Tapestry Photo Adventure Tour to the Pantanal this year, we will send you a detailed daily itinerary.
2. General information such as what to bring (clothes, camera lenses, peripheral gear to consider bringing) will be sent a couple of months prior to departure.
3. Trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended that covers your total cost (airfare plus lodging) so that you are covered for any eventually that may cause you to have to cancel your trip. Many companies sell this kind of insurance and I recommend you Google “trip cancellation insurance” and especially look at the customer experience in dealing with claims. This type of insurance depends on your tolerance for financial risk but we still recommend you look into the matter.
4. Health insurance is inexpensive and we do recommend you go to
www.travelcare.com and look at coverage for medical evacuation and medical expense insurance. Medicaid and Medicare do not cover anyone outside the USA.
5. Make sure you have two blank passport VISA pages in your passport. Do not count the Endorsement pages at the back of your passport as blank VISA pages. Most countries require this for entry.
6. You will need to review your health shots to insure you are up to date. You do need a Yellow Fever vaccination and they are good for 10 years. We also recommend Malaria medication but it is not mandatory. Review the Department of State website covering Brazil for shots they recommend for visiting the Pantanal.
Please remember that you do not need to be a professional photographer to join us on this exciting trip. Video cameras and point and shoot cameras, or even you iPhone camera are fine to use on trips like this one.
The key aspect of this brochure is to remember that we need to have a commitment early in order secure bookings that will accommodate our group. We are planning for six guests to join us this October, plus JudyLynn and myself, making this a total of eight people. We feel that this number of photographers is appropriate to be able to manage this trip well.
So please give me an indication of your interest in coming with us to this wild and wonderful place called the Pantanal. You will not regret it!
NATURE’S TAPESTRY JLM, LLC is registered with the State of Florida as a Seller of Travel | Registration No. ST39587.